Vol. 153 No. 5 (2023)
Rapid antimicrobial susceptibility testing in patients with bacteraemia due to Enterobacterales: an implementation study
- Claudine Reiber
- Elias Bodendoerfer
- Silvio D. Brugger
- Nadia Eberhard
- Eva Hitz
- Daniel A. Hofmaenner
- Sebastian Herren
- Natalia Kolesnik-Goldmann
- Stefano Manicini
- Reinhard Zbinden
- Annelies S. Zinkernagel
- Barbara Hasse
AIMS OF THE STUDY: The goal of this descriptive study was to assess the performance as well as the extent of the clinical impact of rapid automated antimicrobial susceptibility testing in patients with bacteraemia due to Enterobacterales. We also aimed to analyse how rapid automated antimicrobial susceptibility testing influences clinical decision-making.
METHODS: This single-centre study conducted at the University Hospital of Zurich included data from all consecutive patients with Enterobacterales bacteraemia from November 2019 to October 2020. There was no control group. The primary outcome was the effect of rapid automated antimicrobial susceptibility testing on antibiotic therapy (no adjustment, escalation to a broader-spectrum antibiotic or de-escalation to a narrower-spectrum antibiotic). Rapid automated antimicrobial susceptibility testing results were further compared to susceptibility tests using European Committee on Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing (EUCAST) standard methods and erroneous results were noted. Additionally, we investigated turnaround times for rapid automated antimicrobial susceptibility testing and routine diagnostic testing.
RESULTS: We analysed 106 patients with 116 episodes of bacteraemia due to Enterobacterales, with Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae being the most frequent isolates. Almost 8% of pathogens were multidrug resistant. Rapid automated antimicrobial susceptibility testing showed category agreement in 98.4% of all interpretable cases. A significant reduction of more than 20 h in turnaround times could be achieved with rapid automated antimicrobial susceptibility testing compared to the routine diagnostic workflow. In the majority of cases, rapid automated antimicrobial susceptibility testing had no effect, given that the empirical therapy was already correct or circumstances did not allow for de-escalation. In 38.8% of cases, antimicrobial therapy was adjusted, whereas eight cases were de-escalated based on rapid automated antimicrobial susceptibility testing alone.
CONCLUSIONS: Rapid automated antimicrobial susceptibility testing may be a valuable and safe way to accelerate diagnosis. In particular, time to suitable therapy can be shortened in cases of incorrect therapy. However, physicians are reluctant to de-escalate antibiotic therapy based on rapid automated antimicrobial susceptibility testing alone, limiting its impact in everyday clinics. To further explore the potential of rapid automated antimicrobial susceptibility testing, a stringent/compulsory antibiotic stewardship programme would be a valuable next step.
- da Fonseca Pestana Ribeiro JM , Park M . Less empiric broad-spectrum antibiotics is more in the ICU. Intensive Care Med. 2020 Apr;46(4):783–6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00134-019-05863-z
- Rhodes A , Evans LE , Alhazzani W , Levy MM , Antonelli M , Ferrer R , et al. Surviving Sepsis Campaign: International Guidelines for Management of Sepsis and Septic Shock: 2016. Intensive Care Med. 2017 Mar;43(3):304–77. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00134-017-4683-6
- Czepiel J , Dróżdż M , Pituch H , Kuijper EJ , Perucki W , Mielimonka A , et al. Clostridium difficile infection: review. European journal of clinical microbiology & infectious diseases : official publication of the European Society of Clinical Microbiology. 2019;38(7):1211-21. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10096-019-03539-6
- Poissy J , Damonti L , Bignon A , Khanna N , Von Kietzell M , Boggian K , et al.; FUNGINOS; Allfun French Study Groups . Risk factors for candidemia: a prospective matched case-control study. Crit Care. 2020 Mar;24(1):109. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13054-020-2766-1
- Buehler PK , Zinkernagel AS , Hofmaenner DA , Wendel Garcia PD , Acevedo CT , Gómez-Mejia A , et al. Bacterial pulmonary superinfections are associated with longer duration of ventilation in critically ill COVID-19 patients. Cell Rep Med. 2021 Apr;2(4):100229. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.xcrm.2021.100229
- Marchaim D , Gottesman T , Schwartz O , Korem M , Maor Y , Rahav G , et al. National multicenter study of predictors and outcomes of bacteremia upon hospital admission caused by Enterobacteriaceae producing extended-spectrum beta-lactamases. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2010 Dec;54(12):5099–104. https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.00565-10
- Kang CI , Kim SH , Park WB , Lee KD , Kim HB , Kim EC , et al. Bloodstream infections caused by antibiotic-resistant gram-negative bacilli: risk factors for mortality and impact of inappropriate initial antimicrobial therapy on outcome. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2005 Feb;49(2):760–6. https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.49.2.760-766.2005
- Hombach M , Jetter M , Blöchliger N , Kolesnik-Goldmann N , Böttger EC . Fully automated disc diffusion for rapid antibiotic susceptibility test results: a proof-of-principle study. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2017 Jun;72(6):1659–68. https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/dkx026
- van Belkum A , Burnham CD , Rossen JW , Mallard F , Rochas O , Dunne WM Jr . Innovative and rapid antimicrobial susceptibility testing systems. Nat Rev Microbiol. 2020 May;18(5):299–311. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41579-020-0327-x
- Mancini S , Röthlin K , Bodendoerfer E , Herren S , Kolesnik-Goldmann N , Courvalin P , et al. Tentative breakpoints and areas of technical uncertainty for early reading automated disc diffusion for Enterobacterales. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2020 Jun;75(6):1495–505. https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/dkaa051
- Mancini S , Bodendoerfer E , Kolensnik-Goldmann N , Herren S , Röthlin K , Courvalin P , et al. Evaluation of standardized automated rapid antimicrobial susceptibility testing of Enterobacterales-containing blood cultures: a proof-of-principle study. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2020 Nov;75(11):3218–29. https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/dkaa336
- Verroken A , Defourny L , le Polain de Waroux O , Belkhir L , Laterre PF , Delmée M , et al. Clinical Impact of MALDI-TOF MS Identification and Rapid Susceptibility Testing on Adequate Antimicrobial Treatment in Sepsis with Positive Blood Cultures. PLoS One. 2016 May;11(5):e0156299. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0156299
- Ehren K , Meißner A , Jazmati N , Wille J , Jung N , Vehreschild JJ , et al. Clinical Impact of Rapid Species Identification From Positive Blood Cultures With Same-day Phenotypic Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing on the Management and Outcome of Bloodstream Infections. Clin Infect Dis. 2020 Mar;70(7):1285–93.
- Schneider JG , Wood JB , Schmitt BH , Emery CL , Davis TE , Smith NW , et al. Susceptibility Provision Enhances Effective De-escalation (SPEED): utilizing rapid phenotypic susceptibility testing in Gram-negative bloodstream infections and its potential clinical impact. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2019 Jan;74 Suppl 1:i16–23. https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/dky531
- Kerremans JJ , Verboom P , Stijnen T , Hakkaart-van Roijen L , Goessens W , Verbrugh HA , et al. Rapid identification and antimicrobial susceptibility testing reduce antibiotic use and accelerate pathogen-directed antibiotic use. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2008 Feb;61(2):428–35. https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/dkm497
- EUCAST . Antimicrobial susceptibility testing EUCAST disk diffusion method, Version 8.0. 2020.
- CLSI . CLSI. Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing—Twenty-Ninth Edition: M100. 2019. 2019.
- Bauer DF . Constructing Confidence Sets Using Rank Statistics. J Am Stat Assoc. 1972;67(339):687–90. https://doi.org/10.1080/01621459.1972.10481279
- Holm S . A Simple Sequentially Rejective Multiple Test Procedure. Scand J Stat. 1979;6(2):65–70.
- Federal Office of Public Health and Federal Food Safety and Veterinary Office . Swiss Antibiotic Resistance Report 2018. Usage of Antibiotics and Occurrence of Antibiotic Resistance in Bacteria from Humans and Animals in Switzerland. FOPH publication number: 2018-OEG-87. November 2018.
- ANRESIS . Anresis - Antibiotika Resistenz Überwachung Schweiz [Available from: https://www.anresis.ch/de/antibiotikaresistenz/resistance-data-human-medicine/interactive-database-query/
- Perez KK , Olsen RJ , Musick WL , Cernoch PL , Davis JR , Peterson LE , et al. Integrating rapid diagnostics and antimicrobial stewardship improves outcomes in patients with antibiotic-resistant Gram-negative bacteremia. J Infect. 2014 Sep;69(3):216–25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jinf.2014.05.005
- Patel R , Fang FC . Diagnostic Stewardship: Opportunity for a Laboratory-Infectious Diseases Partnership. Clin Infect Dis. 2018 Aug;67(5):799–801. https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciy077
- Patel TS , Kaakeh R , Nagel JL , Newton DW , Stevenson JG . Cost Analysis of Implementing Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption Ionization-Time of Flight Mass Spectrometry Plus Real-Time Antimicrobial Stewardship Intervention for Bloodstream Infections. J Clin Microbiol. 2016 Dec;55(1):60–7. https://doi.org/10.1128/JCM.01452-16
- Bauer KA , Perez KK , Forrest GN , Goff DA . Review of rapid diagnostic tests used by antimicrobial stewardship programs. Clin Infect Dis. 2014 Oct;59 Suppl 3:S134–45. https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciu547
- Beganovic M , Costello M , Wieczorkiewicz SM . Effect of Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption Ionization-Time of Flight Mass Spectrometry (MALDI-TOF MS) Alone versus MALDI-TOF MS Combined with Real-Time Antimicrobial Stewardship Interventions on Time to Optimal Antimicrobial Therapy in Patients with Positive Blood Cultures. J Clin Microbiol. 2017 May;55(5):1437–45. https://doi.org/10.1128/JCM.02245-16
- Banerjee R , Teng CB , Cunningham SA , Ihde SM , Steckelberg JM , Moriarty JP , et al. Randomized Trial of Rapid Multiplex Polymerase Chain Reaction-Based Blood Culture Identification and Susceptibility Testing. Clin Infect Dis. 2015 Oct;61(7):1071–80. https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/civ447
- Jonasson E , Matuschek E , Kahlmeter G . The EUCAST rapid disc diffusion method for antimicrobial susceptibility testing directly from positive blood culture bottles. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2020 Apr;75(4):968–78. https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/dkz548
- Åkerlund A , Jonasson E , Matuschek E , Serrander L , Sundqvist M , Kahlmeter G , et al.; RAST Study Group . EUCAST rapid antimicrobial susceptibility testing (RAST) in blood cultures: validation in 55 European laboratories. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2020 Nov;75(11):3230–8. https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/dkaa333